Happy 2014 everyone! Now that the holiday season is behind us, many people are focusing on getting healthier in the New Year. Whether you resolved to make better food choices or are simply looking for healthier recipe ideas, you’ve come to the right place! Enjoy these 10 recipes, all full of nutritious ingredients, which will help you kick-start the New Year! And don’t forget to check out the GIVEAWAY at the end… enter to win a couple awesome kitchen prizes! 🙂
- Strawberries ‘n Cream Baked Oatmeal: Breakfast is a sure way to start your day on the right foot; but for some, it can be hard to make a nutritious breakfast every day. Which is why this Strawberries ‘n Cream Baked Oatmeal is perfect! Made with wholesome oats, and packed with protein from plain yogurt, make this baked oatmeal on a Sunday and have breakfast ready-to-go the rest of the week!
- Avocado Blueberry Muffins: It can be a challenge to get more heart healthy fats, whole grains, fruits, and lean protein into your diet. That is unless you’re eating these Avocado Blueberry Muffins! Avocado adds heart healthy fats (without altering the flavor), blueberries add a burst of sweetness, plain yogurt pumps up the protein, and whole wheat flour will help you feel fuller longer!
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie: Too busy for breakfast in the morning? Then take it on-the-go! This Strawberry Banana Smoothie comes together in mere seconds and is an easy option to take with you for those hectic mornings where a sit-down breakfast isn’t an option. Low fat dairy is blended with a mix of fresh and frozen fruits, starting your day off the right way!
- Ranch Turkey Burgers: Living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean that all of your favorite dishes have to go! On the contrary; burgers are absolutely still on the menu! With a few easy trades, such as lean ground turkey breast and savory mushrooms in place of ground beef, you can have your burger and feel good about it too!
- Spicy Salmon Cornmeal Cakes: If you’re looking for a new way to put salmon on the dinner table then I have the recipe for you! These spicy salmon cornmeal cakes are a delicious mix of cooked omega-3-rich salmon, sautéed veggies, and nonfat plain Greek yogurt; a perfect recipe for the New Year!
- Crunchy Walnut-Coated Chicken Strips: Chicken strips are a family favorite in pretty much every household, so I was thrilled to find this healthier version to share with you! Lean strips of chicken breast are coated in heart-healthy walnuts, lending that familiar crunchy texture but with the benefit of heart healthy fats!
- Sneaky Sloppy Joes: Speaking of family-friendly meals, I love these Sneaky Sloppy Joes! Not only are these a better-for-you version of the traditional dish, but they’re more cost-effective too! Cut down on the use of expensive ground beef by mixing in hearty, fiber-filled lentils. You’ll stretch your food dollars without stretching your waistline!
- Orange Ginger Beef Stir Fry: Need a quick recipe to keep in your back pocket for busy weeknights? Then check out this Orange Ginger Beef Stir Fry! Lean Protein is mixed with a variety of your favorite vegetables, quickly cooked in a hot pan, and served over your favorite whole grain (brown rice, barley, quinoa… endless options!) Satisfying yet simple, this dish is a perfect go-to for even your most hectic nights!
- Classic Guacamole: If you’re like me, then you enjoy having a creamy dip every once in a while to snack on! To keep your dip in line with the rest of your healthy diet, try this Classic Guacamole. Full of heart-healthy fats and a variety of vitamins and minerals that can benefit everything from your heart all the way to your skin and hair, avocados are a wonderful fruit to eat more of in 2014!
- Black Bean Smothered Sweet Potatoes: Rather than resort to fast food or take-out on those nights when life is incredibly busy, try these Black Bean Smothered Sweet Potatoes! Ready in less than 15 minutes thanks to convenient lycopene-rich canned tomatoes and protein-packed canned black beans, you’ll have this tasty meal on the table in no time!
And speaking of canned vegetables, today’s GIVEAWAY will help you take advantage of these convenient and economical options! Cans seal in freshness, flavor, and nutrition, making it easy to get a healthy dinner on the table quickly. Be sure to check out these 10 Reasons Cans Will Get You Cooking, and leave a comment below explaining your favorite way to use canned foods. Those who comment on the blog will be entered to win a Cuisinart® Can Opener and an Easy Pour Can Strainer! (BONUS! Get a double entry if you comment on our Facebook page as well!). A winner will be chosen on Friday, January 3rd, 2014 by 3pm. Good luck!